Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Friday, August 1, 2014

I'm working my way through Marc Prou's book, SpokenHaitian Creole for Intermediate Learners. Will you please explain this dialog to me? A young boy: Sispann fè politik non, baton n'ap chèche. Alò, ou gen kote wi pou ou ta pran baton, gade gwosè w. A girl: Mezanmi oh! Ala yon ti moun frekan! M ta ka manman ou, epi w'ap gade gwosè m. The young boy: m pa di ou pa ta ka gran sè m, men afè manman an bliye sa. Thank you, Mandaly.

1.
“A young boy: Sispann fè politik non, baton n'ap chèche. Alò, ou gen kote wi pou ou ta pran baton, gade gwosè w. “

Pulling the sentence apart:
Sispann fè politik non...stop the bureaucracy won’t you
Baton n’ap chèche... [baton nou ap chache (when not contracted)] – the club you looking for (lit.) – You looking for a beating (thrashing)
Alò, ou gen kote wi pou ou ta pran baton... – thus, you have place, yes/indeed, to sustain a beating (this sentence implies that the person is on the heavy side and can sustain a beating because he/she'll can absorb a blow on the fat on their body rather than on their bony part. It can be a sexual suggestion too … if people are referring to how curvy one is)
Gade gwosè w ... – look how curvy/fat you are

Putting the sentence back together:
Sispann fè politik non, baton n'ap chèche. Alò, ou gen kote wi pou ou ta pran baton, gade gwosè w. Stop being political wont you? You must be looking for a beating. Indeed you do have room to sustain a couple of blows. Look how plump you are.

2.
A girl: Mezanmi oh! Ala yon ti moun frekan! M ta ka manman ou, epi w'ap gade
gwosè m.
pulling te sentence apart:
Mezanmi oh!Oh my God! or Oh man! or Geez! Or Wow! Or Oh my!
Ala yon timoun frekan! – ala (how!) frekan (insolent) – What what a rude child!
M ta ka manman ouI could be your mother
epi w'ap gade gwosè* m. – and you’re looking at how plump I am.
*gwosè means size

Putting the sentence back together:
Mezanmi oh! Ala yon ti moun frekan! M ta ka manman ou, epi w'ap gade
gwosè m.Oh my! What an impertinent child! I could be your mother and you’re looking at my curves.

3.
The young boy: m pa di ou pa ta ka gran sè m, men afè manman an bliye sa.
pulling te sentence apart:
M pa di ou pa ta ka gran sè mI don’t say you couldn’t be my big sister.
Gran sè – older sister
Gran sè m – my older sister
Men afè manman an - but that business of mother
bliye saforget about it.

Putting the sentences back together:
M pa di ou pa ta ka gran sè m, men afè manman an bliye sa. – I don’t deny that you could be my big sister, but you could not pass for my mother, forget about that!


 ..........
“A young oy: Sispann fè politik non, baton n'ap chèche. Alò, ou gen kote wi pou ou ta pran baton, gade gwosè w. Stop being political wont you? You must be looking for a beating. Indeed you do have room to sustain a couple of blows. Look how plump you are.

Girl: Mezanmi oh! Ala yon ti moun frekan! M ta ka manman ou, epi w'ap gade
gwosè m.Oh my! What an impertinent child! I could be your mother and you’re looking at m curves.

A young boy: M pa di ou pa ta ka gran sè m, men afè manman an bliye sa. – I don’t deny that you could be my big sister, but you could not pass for my mother, forget about that!”



Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

No comments:

Post a Comment