Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Monday, July 1, 2013

Question: Mandaly, I have noticed in my travels with Kreyol Ayisyen that sometimes there are two different meanings to a sentence. I cannot think of a HC example, but in english, "Did you miss me?" This could mean "Did you miss making contact with me?" or, "Did you miss (emotionally speaking) me?" Would you possibly give me a HC example of this (or perhaps maybe two examples)? Mesi, Jan

Yes, your sentence is a good example where SONJE can translate to miss or to recall / remember
But as you may already know sometimes it's the context that guides you in these cases:

1.
Ou sonje mwen?
or more specifically
Eske ou sonje ki moun mwen ye?
Do you remember me?
Do you remember who I am?

or

Ou te sonje mwen?
or more specifically
Eske ou te sonje mwen?
Did you miss me?

There are many other instances where this happens in Creole.  Unfortunately I cannot think of any of them right now :)  I'll add to this post as they come to mind.  Dakò?

Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

No comments:

Post a Comment