Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Thursday, December 27, 2012

I have heard my mom use this verb "mandjangwe"; she says it means "mele" "to mix" in English but I am not sure. This word sounds great. So,what does this word really mean? What is all its definitions?

Where, in Haiti, is your mom from?
I've only heard this word once (or twice) from a guy who loved to write poems, songs, and stories in Creole. I think he was from Jeremie (I don't remember).  This guy loved to quote famous Haitian writers.  And sometimes he could spend hours speaking like if he came out of a Haitian-tale book.
Anyways, madjangwe, in Mr. Marcelin's book, meant sakaje, bay move soukous, depafini, filange, tchake.  In English that's to rattle, to agitate, to consume, to gnaw 

Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

1 comment:

  1. My Mom is from Gonaïves. I don't know if other people from Gonaïves say this or if she heard this from people from another region of Haiti.

    ReplyDelete