Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Can you explain why Haitians say 'pou lèzentim' when they tell you their names?

pou lèzentim (from French pour les intimes) → for close / intimate friends.

They are letting you know what their nickname is.
pou lèzentim indicates what your close friends call you.

examples:

Mwen rele Jean Broullard, Janjan pou lèzentim.
I'm called Jean Brouillard, and it's Janjan for close friends.
My name is Jean Brouillard, my friends call me Janjan.

Non mwen se Felix, Fefe pou lèzentim.
My name is Felix, and it's Fefe for close friends.
My name is Felix, my friends call me Fefe.
Haitian Creole ↔ English Reference, Look up Haitian Creole and English Words

No comments:

Post a Comment