Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Do you say "Comment vas-tu?,"Comment allez-vous?(1 person) and "Comment allez-vous?" (2 or more people the same way? Thanks

Before answering this question, I should let you know that this French etiquette does not work for Haitian Creole.

First:
Yes, you are right. You may use "tu" or "vous" for 1 person; and 'vous' for 2 or more people.

Second:
"tu" is used informally. You use it with close friends and people which you're on first-name basis with.

"vous" is for formal use (and plural of course).
I have a friend who complains that she was never able to 'tutoyer' her mother-in-law, even after knowing her for 11 years. Tutoyer (v.) means to use 'tu'. and Vouvoyer (v.) means to use 'vous'.

When I was growing up, I was thought to 'vouvoyer' anyone I meet for the first time except children.

1 comment:

  1. This article is amazing as it helps me to get the sort of information was needed by me. I am thankful to get your article when was searching http://topsaits.ucoz.com/

    ReplyDelete