Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

What is "to take attendance" in Creole?

take attendance → fè apèl  or   fè lapèl
roll call → apèl, lapèl

The teacher takes atendance each morning.
Mèt la fè apèl chak maten.

Teacher is translated as pwofesè or mèt.  Mèt, literally, means master.  You'll find that students in Haiti always add the prefix Mèt in front of their teachers' name.  Mèt for males, and Matmwazèl or Madame for females.
Mèt Brinach → Mr. Brinach
Matmwazèl Françoise → Ms. Françoise

You know, I have kept in touch with some of my primary and secondary school teachers from Haiti.  And to this day, I still call them Mèt.

No comments:

Post a Comment