Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"Lasisin" as in "Fè lasisin ak manje a"

Oh dear, I haven't heard that expression in a long time.

Fè lasisin → especially with food, is to eat very slowly.  It is to take your time to relish the food that you're eating.

Fè lasisin ak manje a → to take time to savor the food.

It is a funny thing when you live in a country where food is scarce.  When you finally get your hands on that only meal of the day, you take your time to savor every bite.  But, beware, if you are not eating alone (especially among kids), people who are already done with their own food might want to steal yours.  So, in Haiti, I was taught to never "fè lasisin".  I was told, "Eat you food in one gulp.  Once it's in your stomach, it's yours!  No one else can get their hands on it :)  I call that survival.

No comments:

Post a Comment