Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Sunday, July 24, 2011

How do I use a CHICKEN FEATHER? How do I shape it?

Plim poul is Haitian Creole for chicken feather

Haitians have been using chicken feathers to clean their ears for as long as I can remember. 
The items of choice for cleaning your ears in Haiti are chicken feathers, cotton tip applicators or a bobby pin.
Sometimes a chicken feather is more readily available.
Thank God! because a bobby pin is dangerous.

To make your chicken feather "ear cleaner", pluck 1 single feather from a chicken or any bird.  Pull out the hairs from part of the shaft, but leave some hair at the tapered end of the feather as in the image above.  Clip the feather to a comfortable length.

Once the feather is fashioned to your liking, it's good to use.

Some people would bring the feather to their mouths to wet it a bit before they start to sweep their ears with it.  The feathers are very gentle to your ears.  The climactic sensation that it brings is an added bonus.  Watch and you'll see some people start rolling their eyes and doze off as soon as the feather touches their ears☺

There's a Haitian Creole expression that goes: Pase plim poul nan zòrèy (literally means to apply chicken feather to one's ears) it means to sweeten, to mollify, to sweet talk.

On your next trip to Haiti, if you pay attention, you'll see that some people carry their little cleaned chicken feathers tucked behind their ears.   Don't forget to get your own too!

12 comments:

  1. Rita Tamang (New York City)January 31, 2012 at 8:45 PM

    Nepalese in Darjeeling (India) use Chicken Feathers to clean their ears as well. We call it "biri biri". The cleaning process is a heavenly experience indeed. Nothing can satisfy the itchy ears like a chicken feather.
    After reading your blog, I was so happy that I immediately shared the link with my family & friends. I feel a little closer to Haiti now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the greatest articles ever!!! I am a Plim Poul LOVER:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great. You must be one of the lovely people that usually tuck their plim poul behind their ears.

      Great to hear from you.
      Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  3. Tell you something ! I live in singapore and I am actually using this chicken feather to relive the itch in my ears too ! It feel heavenly and you can't stop once you start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, a year later and I'm a Haitian in Singapore. Except I wish I had a feather, one of life's little pleasures. Haven't thought about one in years :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men wi :)
      Yon ti plim poul pou fe w domi byen.

      Delete
  5. I'm Hmong and we used chicken feathers too! The sensation is amazing! But be careful, don't do it too much or too often cus it can hurt :)
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's nice! please, can you give us some examples for how to use the idiomatic expression, mentioned above? thanks..

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE LOVE this! my dad is from DR and taught us about this feather... it's def a climatic experience... and the BEST for an itchy ear!!!

    ReplyDelete