Bonjou! Learn to Speak Haitian Creole

Bonjou! ...Mèsi! ...E Orevwa! Search for English or Haitian Creole words translation. Also search the whole site for expressions, idioms and grammar rules. And ask questions about the language in the ASK QUESTIONS HERE section.

Most requested translations added here for your convenience: I love you → Mwen renmen w. I miss you → Mwen sonje w. My love!Lanmou mwen!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Exercise 62 - Possessive nouns, a quick review

Bonswa, kijan nou ye? - Good evening, how are you all?

To answer a question about possessive nouns, here are a few examples.
Study these examples carefully.  Take notes on where the definite article is placed.   (You might need to review the Haitian Creole definite articles  See exercises or videos.)

The lady's car - will be literally translated as: The car of the lady
Haitian Creole translation is Machin fanm nan.

Rachel's house -  (literally) The house of Rachel - (Haitian Creole) Kay Rachel la.

The little baby's shirt - (literally) The shirt of the little baby - (Haitian Creole) Mayo ti bebe a

The dog's food - (literally) The food of the dog - (Haitian Creole) Manje chyen an

Joe's flight - (literally) The flight of Joe - (Haitian Creole) Vòl Joe a

My dad's car - (literally) The car of my father - (Haitian Creole) Machin papa m nan

My mom's mom - (literally) The mother of my mother - (Haitian Creole) Manman manman m

My mom's brother - (literally) The brother of my mother (Haitian creole) Frè manman m nan

Pitit pitit mwen malad - (literally) The child of my child is ill. (Haitian Creole) My Grandchild is ill.

I have the girl's hat. - Mwen gen chapo fi a.

The book's color is red - Koulè liv la wouj

Here's a little practice.  Please Translate the following sentences.  Answers are on this page.  Go over the answers after you've translated these sentences:)  Thanks!
1. I see Joe's car.
2. I sit in the teacher's chair.
3. He sleeps in his sister's bed
4. I read Lilianne' s book
5. She ate Kendra's sandwich. (Haitian Creole for sandwich is still sandwich)
6. The sky's color is gray.
7. The lady's eyes were red.
8. Here is the house's key.
9. This is my brother's car.
10. This is my country's flag

Answers:
1. I see Joe's car. - Mwen wè machin Joe a.
2. I sit in the teacher's chair - M chita nan chèz pwofesè a. Also M chita sou chèz pwofesè a.
3. He sleeps in his sister's bed. - Li dòmi sou kabann sè li a. Also Li dòmi nan kabann sè li a.
4. I read Lilianne's book. M te li liv Lilianne nan. (!!! The name "Lilianne" has a resonating "n sound" at the end - that changes the definite article to "nan". check videos on the definite articles)
5. She ate Kendra's sandwichLi te manje sandwich Kendra a. Also Li manje sandwich Kendra a. (The present tense of the verb may be used when talking  of the past)
6. The sky's color is gray - Koulè syèl la gri.
7 The lady's eyes were red. - Je fanm nan te wouj.
8.Here is the house's key. - Men kle kay la.
9. This is my brother's car. - Sa se machin frè mwen an. Also Sa se machin frè m nan.
10. This is my country's flag - Sa se drapo peyi mwen an. Also Sa se drapo peyi m nan.

Learn More About Possessive nouns at this link:

1 comment: